Skip to main content

Special Programs

Special Programs

Special Services

Special Education

Special education is a set of services -- including specially designed instruction, related services, supplemental aids and supports, and transition services -- that children with disabilities have a right to receive to meet their individualized needs.

The delivery of special education services is governed by the federal law called IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). If your child has a disability, s/he may have many rights under the IDEA.

S/He may also be entitled to accommodations or services under another disability law known as Section 504

Child Find

Are you worried about your child’s development?
• Does your child have a medical disorder or birth defect that interferes with their development?
• Does the child seem to have hearing or vision issues?
• Does your child have difficulty communicating with people outside the family?
• Does your child have difficulty keeping up with other children their age?
• Does your child have issues learning when they are experiencing social-emotional difficulties?


Any child, birth to five, whose family or caregivers would like more information
about their child’s development can contact their local district to receive a free Child
Find Screening. See the following document for more information.

Students in Private Schools
If a student attends a private school and resides in the Mabton School District, he or she may be referred for a possible evaluation and, if eligible, receive special education services. If you suspect a private school student is in need of special education services, contact Teresa Davison by email or at (509) 894-4852.

Birth to Three Years
For services for children under three years of age please call Children's Village toll free 1-800-745-1077.

Preschool Children
If you are aware of a preschooler, age 3 through 5 years old, who has or may have a developmental disability, please contact Teresa Davision by email or call her at (509) 894-4852.

School Age Children & Youth
If you have a child already in the Mabton School District who may be in need of special education services, please call the school directly and ask to speak with the School Psychologist assigned there or express your concern to your child's teacher, counselor, or principal.

Transfer Students
If your student is transferring into the Mabton School District and has received special education from another district, please report this information during the registration process.

Section 504

What is Section 504?

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, commonly called “Section 504,” is a federal law that protects students from discrimination based on disability. Section 504 assures that students with disabilities have educational opportunities and benefits equal to those provided to students without disabilities. To be eligible, a student must have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity.


Your Rights Under Section 504

If you find the need to submit a complaint about the state and federal programs within Mabton School District please do so through contacting the programs director or through the process outlined within policy 3210 and procedure 3210P. 


Policy 3210: Nondiscrimination 

Procedure 3210P: Procedure Nondiscrimination


Contact Information


Teresa Davison
Director of Special Programs